Essex County Hutchinson Tract
= Unavailable = Available
19108 Tidewater Trail
Tappahannock, VA 22560
- 200 acres planted in native warm-season grasses
- 250 acres of upland forest
- 130 acres of pristine tidal marsh almost completely free of Phragmites australis
- Frontage on Mt. Landing Creek
- Buffered with a planting of native Eastern hardwoods
- Deep ravines
- Grasslands being successfully managed for certain birds: Grasshopper sparrow, Northern Bobwhite and other ground nesters
- 2.7 miles of road with 3 parking areas
- 1.5 miles of accessible wildlife observation trails
- 2 restrooms
- Canoe/kayak launch and fishing pier
- Interpretive signs Wayside exhibits Environmental Education Pavilion Informational kiosks with maps and brochures
- Robert Taylor Observation Deck
- Robert "Bobby" Hutchinson Memorial Observation Deck
- Wildflower garden
- Perennial stream under elevated walkway in mid-story region of deciduous forest
- Scenic memorial overlook
- Interpretive water trail on Mt. Landing Creek with accompanying waterproof brochures
- A group of volunteers, most from Essex County, meets twice a month on designated dates to maintain trails, sweep the elevated walkways, canoe launch, and fishing pier, clean the restrooms, and perform light maintenance. Anyone interested in volunteering with this group should contact Judy Allen, Coordinator 804.443.4549.
- A second group of volunteers routinely mows the grounds and performs heavier maintenance. Contact John Elkin, Coordinator, at his 703.851.2495 to join this group.
Click on an activity name for details or the date for the activity schedule.
There are no activities happening on the selected dates.